ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Nevada State Railroad Museum is a cultural resource dedicated to educating visitors and the community about Nevada railroad history. This mission is accomplished through the collection, preservation and interpretation on significant locomotives, rolling stock, artifacts, photographs and memorabilia directly related to railroads and railroading in Nevada. In addition to static exhibits, select pieces of equipment in the collection are restored and operated throughout the year to demonstrate steam and early gasoline technology and provide visitors with a first-hand experience with railroad history through the sights, sounds and sensations of a train ride.
The Nevada State Railroad Museum depends on the energy and dedication of many talented volunteers to provide the services necessary to make a visit to the museum a memorable and educational experience. Learn more
- “The history to discover here is amazing, and the restoration of the trains is excellent. The two volunteer tour guides had an incredible amount of knowledge on the trains themselves, and their history. They also allowed us to tour the building in the back of the museum, which is where you can get into the passenger areas of the trains and get a real feel for them. For $8, this is a great way to spend an afternoon!” – –Natalie Marsh 2023
- The staff and volunteers were wonderful, so helpful and full of answers for any questions you may have. I was lucky and went on a day when they had enough volunteers to have the annex open which was a unique opportunity since it’s only open when enough volunteers are there! I really did appreciate the amazing work of the volunteers the day of my visit. The museum constantly uses most of the equipment which is awesome in the idea that it shares and allows for hands on history unlike other railroad museums such as the one in Sacramento which seems more show off like for entertainment purposes. Definitely will go back! Make sure to go and get a train ride as well, awesome experience I’ll never forget! 2021
- “Went here with the kids and my besty. I’ve been here a few times but didn’t know there were other buildings too! I was so thrilled, we got a museum pass! Now I can bring the kids all summer! The kids just eat this place up! I’m just amazed at what they have done, that is, restoring trains to their former glory all while being volunteer’s! It really goes under appreciated! Thank you and keep up the awesome work! We will be frequent visitors!” – Crystal Baughn Sept.8, 2017
- “Harvest train day was great! Not too overwhelming with my 1.5 year old. Staff was kind, the ladies dressed in theme were great! Wonderful turnout! We will be back for Santa train!” -Rachelle Upton Oct.15, 2017
- “This is the nicest Train Museum, we had such a good time, we got to ride the train, which was fun fun fun. And the volunteers are very knowledgeable, and nice. It’s a fun family trip.
I would go back again.” -Donna Baker Nov. 2017
- Really cool place to visit with kids. Very impressive, well explained, very nice people. Glad we went. – April 2021
- If you like trains and you’re in the area, this should get pinned on your e-map. There is a working engine for rides, some interesting train cars outside, nice depot, great static displays in the museum building and a warehouse with an engine and more train cars. If you go past the warehouse there are several disintegrating old train cars in a fenced in area. I’ve been here a few times and enjoy it every time. -March 2022
- My Boys absolutely Love the Trains. Adults 8.00 each and children under 17 are free! They also offer a ride on their Steam Engine are the Yard but only certain times of the yr. Highly recommend anyone that has children to come check it out. Donations are always needed to help keep our history alive. To Preserve is To Protect it for Future Generations. – Oct. 2021